1. Mad Moxxi, the only sexualized character in the Borderlands series who sexualizes HERSELF (by her own doing) proudly. Is promiscuous but completely in control of her own sexual encounters. She is an excellent passionate mother, a complete badass, and a bisexual woman.
2. Janey Springs. The strong, capable, commanding, and hilariously condescending open lesbian in Borderlands the Pre-Sequel. And she writes children stories!
3. Gaige is a high school girl who created a giant robot to combat bullies. She’s completely awesome and incredibly smart and good with robotics.
4. Athena. A former member of an all female assassin force hellbent on avenging her sisters death. Yeah that’s right, an ALL FEMALE ASSASSIN FORCE.
5. Maya. The siren identified by the monks who she grew up with and learned to hone her skills with as their goddess and savior. She left the order of monks to explore and adventure because she refused to be tied down and let anyone but herself dictate what her life would be.
6. Nisha is a sheriff and a woman of color. She is a cold hearted killer with a bloodlust unmatched by any playable character in the series with no sympathy or remorse for anyone.
7. Tiny Tina is only 13 years old and is an explosives EXPERT. She and her parents were sold as test subjects which resulted in the death of her parents, but her being the resourceful and intelligent little girl she is, escaped a similar fate by using a grenade she had hidden in her dress.
8. Patricia Tannis is a brilliant researcher, scientist, and archeologist with severe social anxiety and who displays behaviors of a person with Aspergers. She is dependent on repetition and a comfort zone and has difficulty expressing empathy. And while these personality traits are present, what we really focus on about her is her impeccable intelligence. She is arguably one of the smartest characters in the series.
9. Ellie is the plus size car loving daughter of Mad Moxxie that you do NOT want to fuck with. She left the care of her mother because she refused to take her advice to slim down because she was happy the size she is and said “fuck off mom” and went her own way. She also left because her creepy brother was romantically interested in her and that’s not what she’s about, Ellie doesn’t need some man, especially not her brother!
Those are just some of the women I think are prominent and worth mentioning in the Borderlands series. We can expect to see another playable lady, Fiona, sometime this year in a game that telltale haven’t yet released. These women are strong and diverse we have a WoC, a plus size girl, a promiscuous girl who is sexual by choice, a bisexual woman, a lesbian, characters representing girls as young as 13, a girl with social disorders that still shows brilliance and excellence anyway. All of these women are strong and powerful and none of them let the stereotype of whatever traits they have define them, they let their strength, intelligence, and passion define them instead. And I think that’s pretty great and worth mentioning. The game is diverse without trying too hard or making awkward characters that they place just to meet a quota, each one is relevant, dynamic, and interesting. Some of these are playable, some of them are not but still relevant characters who either assist you or give you missions. This game is NOT sexist. There is no way you could twist it around to make this game sexist or problematic. Well done Gearbox Software, well done.